Monday, December 31, 2007

We'll take a cup of kindness yet...

I had to laugh today when I saw an Internet ad starring Derek Jeter. The ad was for a new cologne called Driven:Black. The humorous part? It’s distributed by Avon. I guess I consider Derek Jeter to be a fairly high caliber brand. I wonder how much money Avon paid him to be the face of their new cologne. Hopefully enough to replace the testicles he must have lost to agree to an ad campaign with Avon. Seriously.

My tummy is a rumbling today – partially from a lack of sleep and partially from a purge session I had last night. I think it was mostly triggered by the double combination of phone calls from my mom and my brother. I really need to figure out how to distance myself from the drama happening with my family. It’s a double edged sword because I want there to be peace and I feel like I need to facilitate that peace. The problem is that I’m not a good facilitator. I’m too emotionally involved. I spent last night working on the letter to my mom and much to my surprise, I feel like a huge load has been removed from my shoulders. I’m starting to feel like maybe this is something I can do. That maybe it’s not going to be this huge emotional tidal wave and I can just plug away at working on myself and come out on top. It feels good; it feels refreshing.

Being that it is the last day of 2007, I feel like I should do a little reflecting on the events of this past year. I really think that it’s important to focus on the good parts of life. 2007 wasn’t perfect, but I feel like I’ve come a long way personally.

In 2007 I…

…reconnected with a few close friends who now live in various parts of the country.
…bought myself some new wheels.
…made friends with two women who inspire and motivate me.
…explored four major league baseball fields.
…celebrated my 26th birthday.
…discovered that I don’t have to be ashamed of who I am anymore.
…watched The Bridges of Madison County for the first time.
…made my nephew laugh.
…chopped, cooked, and ate an onion for the first time.
…discovered my new favorite city with my new best friend.
…bought the most comfortable pair of boots I’ve ever owned.
…started reading the Harry Potter series.

All this is to say that when I look back on the past year, I feel like I’m getting started on the right foot for the new year.

Cheers.

No comments: