Monday, March 3, 2008

I've Never Met a Toby that I Didn't Like

I'm sitting in lovely Southern California right now, staring out the window at palm trees and sunshine. Whoever said that Seasonal Affective Disorder is a myth, needs to spend some time closer to the equator.

So last night was the first time in a long time that I really had to fight the desire to purge. I had a really exhausting evening that was full of a bunch of minor disappointments. Typically, I can handle minor disappointments, but I was traveling alone and didn't have a lot of wherewithal to process. The hotel's room service menu was singing my name, and I was completely isolated. Ideal conditions for the Perfect Storm. I freaked out a little bit. I cried a little bit. I decided to get over it. I vented my frustrations to a friend, did some mini-exercises, and ordered a chicken salad. And I feel so much better today, so much better than I would have had I given into that pang to make myself feel better using other methods.

After listening to the soundtrack from the movie Juno, I have fallen in love with Kimya Dawson. I love music, but I've been feeling a real disconnect for the past few years when it comes to music. I like Kimya because I feel like she's just having a conversation with me when I hear her music. Her sound is simple and straightforward and completely sing-alongable.

I sat in the swamp with a little pink piggy

who loved roller-skating and playing pretend

the boy that she loved was a real snackmaster

the world was a beach ball we were all friends

No comments: